Roasted Cauliflower

My very favorite way to eat cauliflower is boiled, drained and then sprinkled with butter drenched bread crumbs. Well, that may not be exactly the healthy way but it sure is my favorite way to devour it.

My second favorite on the list is Mashed Cauliflower. No, you cannot pass it for mashed potatoes by any means, but it is an incredibly delicious side dish.



THEN the wildest thing happened.  I stumbled upon this roasted cauliflower recipe made in an iron skillet. Let me mention that I have made roasted cauliflower in the past and was not impressed by it. I made it plain and made it with buffalo sauce, but it never made it to my treasured recipe book with "need to make it again" recipes. Do you have one? You should! The treasured recipe book, that is. 

With this recipe the cast iron skillet part of the recipe as the delivery vessel caught my attention. Did you know that everything tastes better when cooked in a cast iron skillet? Studies have shown..... I'm kidding. The only study that has been done is MINE and I say that nothing cooks like cast iron skillet so just take my word for it! Cast Iron skillets deserve a post in themseves because they are passed from generation to generation and just like wine, they only get better with age. 

OK, getting back to the cauliflower.....


Place the whole cauliflower into an iron skillet and drizzle it with olive oil, then sprinkle with salt, pepper and garlic powder. I make my own Paula Dean's House Seasoning which I use every single day in my cooking. Here are the ingredients:

1 cup salt
1/4 cup black pepper
1/4 cup garlic powder


Wrap the entire skillet in aluminum foil and place it into preheated 400 degree oven for 40 minutes. Voila, dinner is ready!

My personal favorite is to break the cauliflower into pieces rather than keeping it whole. There is more surface for the brown goodness from the bottom of the pan!


Comments