Not so sweet Dutch Apple Pie

So here is the deal... MOST apple pies, whether purchased from a bakery or frozen from the supermarket, are just way too sweet for my family. We love to put a scoop of delicious vanilla ice cream on the side or some whipped cream, so the pie itself really should not be overly sweet for us. I came up with this recipe in desperation and we love it!! Yes, I use store bought frozen crust!! It's yummy and allows me to whip up an apple pie in no time.

Now, before I tell you all about my pie, let me tell you about this amazing device. Apple peeler, slicer and corer. It is one of the best inventions in the apple pie world and I get all my apples peeled, sliced and cored in less than 5 minutes - and I am very serious about that!
Ingredients:

Frozen pie shell ( I use deep dish) 
6 to 7 apples, cored, peeled and sliced 
1/4 cup brown sugar
1 tsp corn starch
1/2 tsp cinnamon
lemon juice from 1/2 lemon

Streusel topping:
1 c flour
1/2 c light brown sugar
1/4 tsp salt
6 T butter, cold please
(you could add chopped nuts but we personally don't like them in an apple pie)

Turn the oven to 400 degrees. Prepare your apples and mix them with sugar, cornstarch, lemon juice and cinnamon. Taste a slice of an apple and see if you need to add  more sugar to your liking.
Put prepared apples into the frozen pie shell. Mix all the topping ingredients (make sure your butter is cold) and place them on top. This can be tricky if you overfill your pie like I do but it is doable. Place into the oven for 40 minutes. After 40 minutes take a peak to make sure that the top is not burning and keep it in the oven for another 20 minutes. If the top is starting to burn, just place a piece of aluminum foil on top and that will do the trick.

Keep in mind that your pie will get smaller, so don't be afraid to over load it! This is how my pie looked when I was putting it into the oven....




And this is how it looked when I took it out of the oven.




Enjoy!!!

Comments

  1. Instead of lemon juice try adding lime juice to your apple pie. it gives it an amazing different flavor!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment