Vegetarian Chili





Please do not be spooked by the "vegetarian" in the title. My family is not vegetarian and we absolutely love this chili. I think that we might even love it more than the regular chili, if that is at all possible!
It should win an award for simplicity because all you do it throw everything into a crockpot and let the pot do the magic. Make sure that you adjust seasonings to your liking, including the chipotle peppers. This recipe is just a guide but you absolutely have to make it your own!!

Ingredients

2 sweet potatoes, cubed
6 cans of your favorite beans, drained
6 cloves of garlic, minced
1 onion, chopped
1 chipotle pepper in adobo sauce, chopped (more if you like it more spicy)
1 15 oz can of tomato sauce
2 Tbsp of tomato paste
4 cups of stock (I use chicken), or enough to almost cover the beans
2 Tbsp chili powder
1 Tbsp cumin
1 tsp salt
1 tsp sugar
1/2 tsp black pepper

I usually cook it all for 10 hours on low just because that's how long I am gone from home. Before serving I use potato masher and mash some of the potatoes and beans. Maybe give 3 or 4 "mashes". If the chili is still too thin (I like it thicker), mix 1/2 cup cornmeal and water and add to it and cook it until done, 10 minutes or so.

Enjoy!!!

Comments