Cauliflower casserole

Now, I post only recipes that I have tried and I love and I would make over and over again. I mean it. I really do hope that all of you have tried them and come to love them as much as I do. And today I have another one to add to my collection.... It's decadent, low carb, rather healthy and most importantly, finger licking good! After you are set and done with it you cannot believe that you are eating cauliflower. Yes, I know, you are looking at all the cheese and bacon and you are thinking that I am insane .....  Now, let me admit to you that I did not follow the recipe the  "T" because I was looking for a lighter option. I used bacon bits instead of bacon strips and I used only two table spoons which is 70 calories for the entire dish but the flavor is there. I also used 6 green onions because I felt that they just add so much flavor and used 1/2 cup of cream cheese. SO, hopefully my version was tad bit lighter but it certainly was delicious.


Ingredients

1 large cauliflower
6 strips of bacon (I used real bacon bits)
1/2 cup parmesan (I may have added a tiny bit more)
4 green onion ( I used 6)
3/4 cup cream cheese
1/2 cup sour cream
1 cup of shredded cheese for topping (optional, I used 1/2 cup)
Salt, pepper and garlic powder to taste

Directions:

Preheat your oven to 350F.  Cut out the stem and core from cauliflower, and cut into pieces.  Cook in large pot of boiling salted water until cauliflower is tender, but not overly soft.  Drain well and mash with potato masher, leaving some chunks.  Next, mix in the cream cheese, sour cream, green onion, Parmesan cheese and bacon (reserve some bacon for topping if desired).
Spread evenly in a 9×13 glass casserole dish.  Sprinkle with 1 cup sharp cheddar cheese, reserved bacon and if desired, more green onions. Bake 30-35 minutes, or until hot and bubbly.

Comments