Baked potato soup

The hot summer days are approaching and with them I have to say farewell to my beloved soups, stews and chili. I will see them all in the fall when the days are going to start getting cooler. What the heck am I doing? Dreaming about fall when we have scorching summer ahead! Get a life, girl!

This is my farewell soup for the season. Beware, there is NOTHING skinny about this soup. It's hardy and perfect for a complete meal with a slice of my crusty bread. I love bacon but I oddly do not like when my house smells like bacon nor do I appreciate the splatter it leaves behind while cooking....so.... I used real bacon bits I picked up in the store. I keep them handy for soups, baked potato, scrambled eggs, salads. They are simple to store, delicious and apparently they are the real deal in the bitty form. I used way more green onion than the recipe calls for but as for every other dish that you make, you have to make it your own. Enjoy this finger licking goodness!

I

Ingredients
  • 4 slices bacon, diced
  • 5 tablespoons unsalted butter
  • 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
  • 3 1/2 cups milk, or more, as needed
  • 3 russet potatoes, peeled and cubed
  • 2 green onions, thinly sliced
  • 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
  • 1/2 cup sour cream
  • Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste

 
  • Cook bacon until brown and crispy, about 6-8 minutes. Transfer to a paper towel-lined plate; set aside. (or skip this step and use the real bacon bits!)
  • Melt butter in a large stockpot or Dutch oven over medium heat. Whisk in flour until lightly browned, about 1 minute. Gradually whisk in milk, and cook, whisking constantly, until slightly thickened, about 1-2 minutes. Stir in potatoes, some of the bacon bits (keep some for serving) and green onions.
  • Bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer until potatoes are tender, about 15-20 minutes. Potatoes will need to be stirred pretty regularly otherwise they will stick to the bottom. Stir in cheese, sour cream, salt and pepper, to taste. If the soup is too thick, add more milk as needed until desired consistency is reached.
  • Serve immediately, garnished with green onion, cheese and bacon, if desired.


Comments